Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Half Way Through Summer School!

I apologize for the delay since my last post! I have been running around like a nutter over here, and literally have no extra time to myself. I average about 5 hours of sleep a night, and spend over 9 hours at school every day. I only teach for 45 minutes on my own, but planning for those intense minutes consumes my every evening!

My 6th grade class is awesome- the kids are so so funny!

-Yesterday I was asked if I was thirty, and the student was completely serious.
- The twins in my class, Mitch and Mitchell (yes! Mitch and Mitchell Thompson! No joke!) continue to be the cutest things in the world. I can't tell them apart, so I have them sit on opposite sides of the classroom. And I know that Mitchell wears white tennis shoes, and Mitch wears black ones. Honestly, they probably switch seats every single day and I never notice!
- I had to take away a girl's cell phone because it rang in class! It was my first big move as an authority figure in the classroom- yikes!
- A girl gave me my first "teacher sign" -- a fancy little decoration with "Ms. Gosewisch" written all over. I practically have it framed in my room! ha.

In case I didn't make the whole set-up clear earlier, let me explain. I teach on a team of 4. There are 2 math teachers (thankfully not me!) and 2 English teachers. We each teach for 45 minutes a day, and then the kids go home after lunch. It all sounds so simple, but so so so much planning is involved for those 45 minutes! Nutty, absolutely nutty.

We had some exciting news yesterday about the progress of our students. We found out that our English students have made 49% of their growth goals- that means that for being half way through the summer, they are on track to meet their goals! Considering that our school average is about 30%, the other English teacher, Caitlin, and myself were very proud and SO happy!

I will write more this weekend, but seeing as it is almost 1am, I need to get to bed! Up and at 'em around 5:15am!

More later, hugs from CA! xxoo

No comments:

Post a Comment